Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress

The goal this week is to monitor my personal GAME plan, an important part of the GAME plan process.

First, I will reflect on how I am doing in the area of gathering my needed resources. My Walden classmates have been very helpful in providing me with additional resources besides the ones I have found on my own. Sharon provided me with several project based learning resources. These websites are helping me decide on one type of project based assessment and some of the resources included a rubric so that I can develop a midpoint checklist. Assessing my student’s project based technology task half way through will enable me to re-teach and or model any troubling areas in the lesson. In addition, my students will be able to adjust their project and determine what should be revised and what still needs to be completed.  Mr. Clark suggested that I remember to include parent information to increase my student’s learning since their parents play an important role, especially since my students are in third grade.

Second, I will reflect on if my plan needs modifying. The answer to this question is “yes!’ I began my plan thinking that I would use one formative and one summative type of assessment while incorporating technology. Now I want to just focus on using authentic technology assessments such as a project based learning assessment.  I am finding that using assessments from the programs that I use in my classroom already have built in summative assessments, so I it will not be necessary to add more of these type of assessments in my classroom.

Third, I will summarize what knowledge I have gained thus far. I have inquired a lot of additional information on types of assessments and ways to incorporate technology with each type. In addition, I have found the need to focus on developing one type of authentic project based assessment. To make this assessment meaningful, I found the need to plan a midpoint assessment. I found benefits in including this, and by incorporating a midpoint assessment I will reach my goal of better managing my student’s learning in a technology environment.

Lastly, I have a few new questions to add to my GAME plan. What are some easy to manage midpoint checklist assessments in a project based assessment? What weight will the midpoint check assessment have in the total grading of the project? How do other elementary teachers monitor their student’s learning in a technology environment?  

As the authors of our course text pointed out, Assessment is more than the assigning of grades and serves a critical role in monitoring and evaluating the academic progress of students (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2010).  The key to my GAME plan is to now choose an authentic project based assessment that incorporates technology in a meaningful way, while at the same time providing me with a way to evaluate my student’s progress towards reaching curriculum objectives.

 
References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration or meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

3 comments:

  1. I think the midpoint assessment is an excellent way to assessed learning. I have done midpint assessment in my class but no value points was added. I wanted to know if the students were understanding the concepts. If you are involving parents in student learning-why not include the parents in the mid-point evaluation tool. The internet have a lot of easy friendly rubric that will not involved a lot of work on your part, you can look at the rubric and see if the student is grasping the content. You have done a lot of work on this project and good game planning. Your questions are good questions but do not know any other teachers that have monitor student learning through technology environment.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    I appreciate your comments. However, involving the parents would mean all of the parents would have to come into my classroom. The students are doing a power point and they are saved on the server at school. Since they are in third grade, I have found in the past some parents are quick to just complete the word for their child. Having a few parents come in, who are familiar with power point may help me with the midpoint check. Your idea made me think about teaming up with an older grade too. If I had ten fifth graders I could walk through the midpoint check much easier. Also, the rubrics I have been finding on the internet are both well made and timesaving. I am finding the midpoint check useful but time-consuming.
    Julie Budd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie
    You are right that the midpoint check is time consuming. Evaluation is an ongoing process. Time is something we do not have a lot of and to assess student outcomes. We do know it is an essential component to guide our lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete