Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Developing My Personal GAME Plan

Developing My GAME Plan: Integrating the National Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators into my classroom will enable me to reach a higher level of integration of technology in my classroom.

As I reviewed the NETS-T, the indicators in which I feel most comfortable with are:

1. Technology Operations and Concepts: I am extremely confident in this area. I am somewhat known as the “tech guru” in my building. I possess the type of thinking ability that enables me to learn and or figure out almost anything new in technology. I “love” learning about a new technology and will walk into my classroom and try it out without any fear of failure. I learn along the way.
 
3. Teaching, Learning, and the Curriculum: I am involved in writing the technology curriculum; this committee helps me to understand the curriculum. This knowledge results in my ability to incorporate technology to support higher order skills and creativity and learner-centered strategies.
 
5. Social, Ethical, Legal, and Human Issues: I teach third grade and our district technologies guidelines and policies, combined with common sense are pretty clear. Each new school year I familiarize myself with any changes to the policy, so that I have a clear understanding how to promote a safe and healthy use of technology resources. My school does not have a huge array of diverse backgrounds, however if this ever changed I would update my technology resources to empower those learners.

The areas that I will focus on are:

2. Planning and Designing Learning environments and Experiences: This indicator is not exactly my weakness, but an area I could focus on is part E., managing my student’s learning in a technology-enhanced environment.

4. Assessment and Evaluation: Although I understand this indicator, I only use the district approved technology assessments to evaluate my students. I know I could bring my assessments to a higher level if I researched and incorporated more of a variety of technology assessment techniques. I am decent at using data to drive my assessment, but my assessments are not made up of multiple methods of evaluation.

Reflecting on these areas will guide my GAME plan.

G- Goals – My goal is to familiarize myself with the variety of technology assessments available to me and research how other teachers use these assessments to drive their instruction. I also want to figure out the right balance of multiple methods of evaluation so that I am not constantly assessing my students in a summative way, but also incorporating more of a formative way involving my students in using my feedback to monitor their learning in my classroom. While I use technology assessments, I will manage my student’s learning environment in an assessment type of way. I will focus on researching and using midpoint formative assessment when incorporating my technology projects. I will use the data from summative technology assessments to drive my instruction.

A-Actions- I will incorporate and experiment in using a combination of technology type of assessments in addition to some of the basic ones I already use. I will collaborate with other teachers in and out of Walden to see what type of technology based assessments increased student learning. I am also looking to research how technology could be used as a re-teaching tool based on assessment data.

M- Monitor – I will review my research about technology assessments and decide on incorporating two new technology assessments in my classroom. I will make the goal of using one formative and one summative assessment. I will collaborate with my colleagues and my classmates once I have used the assessments. In addition, I will ask for student feedback in the form of a survey. I will look at how technology assessments’ increased the level of learning and active engagement in my classroom. I will also monitor my ability to understand how my students’ learn best and judge if the technology assessment is adding to their learning so I can incorporate more positive technology experiences in my classroom.

E-Evaluate – I will evaluate and extend my learning through reflection by keeping a journal when my students are engaged in their technology assessments. This will help me to monitor and adjust my decisions about the type of technology assessments I will choose. I will also use the survey my students filled out and read their feedback to confirm or change my assessments and or teaching practices. I have the technology knowledge necessary to incorporate technology and use multiple technology assessments in my third grade classroom. There are a vast number of digital tools that support digital learning such as computer-based tutorials, wikis, and web-based programs that can help me analyze and evaluate my student’s learning as Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer pointed out (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2010). I am comfortable at so many levels of the NETS-T indicators that this plan will be beneficial to increasing my students’ learning by modifying my technology activities in my classroom.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009).Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

http://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/nets-t-standards.pdf?sfvrsn=2 Retrieved from: http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

6 comments:

  1. I too would like to use different assessment strategies in my classroom. Because I do not have very much planning time, it is easy to just use the test that comes with the chapter as a means of summative assessment. I would like to use technology to assess my students, and do more than just click to answer questions on a computer-generated test. I also will be researching technology assessments used by teachers and determine how I could adapt them for my classroom needs. I also liked how you mentioned asking your students to provide feedback through a survey. Allowing students to give their opinion about their own learning will motivate and engage them at a higher level, allowing them to take ownership in their learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      In teaching, time management is always a tricky thing to balance. We find our time taken up with keeping up with the teaching tasks that are unrelated to planning lessons, when spending our time planning engaging technology lessons is essentially what keeps us enjoying our job.
      It is enlightening to share the same goals with another teacher and we can serve as a resource to each other as we carry out our GAME plan. I look forward to blogging with you and sharing ways to use technology assessments that benefit the students in our classrooms.
      Julie

      Delete
  2. Julie,
    When you said you only use the district approved technology assessments, what are they? If you are to bring assessments to a higher level, do you need approval from your department (and/or district)? I would like to include discussion boards, blogging, and collaborative projects in evaluating student learning. I am tempted to assign alternative assessments for my multi-level geometry class, but I cannot assure my high-performing students to give them more than 20% grading scale. I understand the potential of technology in engaging students, but our school’s rigorous pacing and strict adherence to material coverage holds me back. The common core standard is creating a buzz around campus lately because teachers are not ready for a big switch. Some are considering a change of career or early retirement. I am just glad I am part of this online community that Walden U opened for us. It puts me in better shape. I think being open-minded in sharing and collecting ideas on effective forms of assessments will prepare us for a smooth transition to implementing technology in the classroom.
    Carmelita Burner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmelita,

      We use study island as our district benchmark program. We just recently are able to create other assessments using this online program. My third grade students do not score as high as expected in some areas and I believe it is their computer skills that are lacking. Especially learning to read and comprehend from a computer screen is different than from paper text. I know at times I have to print stuff if I need to analyze it or think critically about what I am reading online.

      We also use accelerated reader. These are preset reading tests based on a bank of available books. Our district is big on using common assessments. I can certainly use a project-based, or digital storytelling grade, but not as an assessment. Now that I can use study island, I can incorporate some reading and math skill based quizzes into my assessment grades. If your district has any online assessments already maybe they have the same capabilities. Study island is aligned to the common core standards.

      You are in far better shape than some teachers by taking classes and learning new ways to implement technology into your classroom. It is sad to think some great teachers will run for the hills because of the vast and speedy changes that are taking place with the common core standards.

      Julie Budd

      Delete
    2. Julie,
      I am not familiar with your type of electronic assessments. Our benchmark tests are done in paper and they are not included as student grade. The results are posted online, so that’s the only part where the assessment engages technology. No, we do not have equivalent assessments to what you have. Our math department is actually the guinea pig when it comes to creating common assessments, pacing guide, and PLCs. However, when it comes to technology as a group, we are not ahead of anyone. I took it upon myself to pursue professional development involving technology because I see its potential in educating our future leaders. In fact, I enrolled in a free educational technology class for free courtesy of a science teacher at my school and I was surprised that only the two of us from our school of almost 200 teachers showed up for the free 3 unit class. It started yesterday. I think the truth is that teachers are intimidated by technology and what it brings to the classroom. Because of this threat, some of them are already counting the days for retirement.
      Carmelita

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie,

    Good for you for looking for alternative assessments when it seems like you are pretty boxed in by your district.

    It's not directly related, but does your district have a common assessment for public speaking? Perhaps since you are elementary they consider it less important, but it seems like the only way to do that would be with a common rubric... which could possibly then be used for other non-test like assessments? Maybe?

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete