Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reflections on My Personal Learning Theory

At the beginning of the Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology course, I described my personal learning theory as mostly incorporating the Social Learning Theory. I did describe my classroom as full of engaging activities, relevant conversation, and lots of collaboration and learning. I also stated that bits and pieces of the other theories are intertwined in my personal belief of how my students learn.

As a third grade teacher, there is part of the curriculum that requires memorizing and increasing my students’ knowledge by delivering new information. Throughout this course, my understanding of learning theory, instructional strategies and use of available technologies have grown. This growth has resulted in having a better understanding of the learning theories and how each approach can be used to help my students complete learner-centered activities. This course has made me realize that technology supports all of the learning theories. It provides me with enough tools to help reach all learners. Technology tools are so versatile and can be used in many ways by my students and myself.

One immediate adjustment I have made to my instructional practice is to use more of a learner-centered approach and less of a teacher-centered approach. I have done this in response to Dr. Orey’s statement that the worst instructional approach is to lecture. (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009) I sometimes use a lecture approach because it is the quickest way to cover material. I have learned from this course to allow my students to construct meaning by completing a hands-on activity and provide opportunities for my students to learn from others. These activities are the best way for my students to be engaged in their learning. I have always struggled with understanding why so many of my students do not pay attention when I lecture. Now I understand why and have adjusted my teaching to allow for more hands-on creative projects that incorporate technology.

This class has introduced me to many new technology tools. Concept Maps and Voice Threads are the two that I feel will be the most beneficial to my third grade students.

The first technology I plan to use is a concept map internet tool. I have used this tool in a lesson this year. My goal is to integrate technology based concept maps more into my classroom. I have found that these maps help my students to organize and understand knowledge. As stated in the text, “Multimedia is very effective because it helps students both activate prior knowledge and develop a mental model to help them understanding new information.” (Lever-Duffy and McDonald, 2008, p. 82) I have always used graphic organizers, but I find incorporating technology by using the Concept Mapping tools have motivated and helped my students to develop a mental model, organize, and understand taught concepts better.

The second technology tool I plan to incorporate in the near future is VoiceThreads. I am working on getting the site unblocked. VoiceThreads are a technology that enables me to step away form the front of the classroom and watch and guide my students with a meaningful learner-centered experience. Incorporating both of these technologies will enable my students to be better prepared for the 21st century workplace.

In the long term, I hope to adapt new technologies such as Voice Threads to enhance and increase student learning. First, I need to submit a rationale for using VoiceThreads with my students. Next, I will incorporate Voice Threads into my teaching as explained in my technology lesson plan that I have developed for this course. Last, I will present to my colleagues the new technology and highlight its benefits and discuss my experience with using it. My goal is to be using Voice Threads with my students by January.

My second goal is to present my experience and my findings at a faculty meeting in April. To achieve my second goal, I will create a VoiceThread from my experience. My expectations are to use my VoiceThread as a professional learning experience. I will invite my colleagues to have a conversation about the advantages of using VoiceThreads in the classroom. My second goal will allow for teacher collaboration and conversation about technology. My goal is based on the fact that many teachers complain that there is never enough time to learn about new technologies. I am on the technology committee in my school and this goal will help teachers in my building learn a new technology tool.

Achieving my long term goals will result in a wonderful experience to implement new technology into my lessons and share them with my colleagues. I will remember as I do this to relate the proven strategies and learning theories that I have learned in this class into my lessons along with the new technology.

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Instructional theory vs. learning theory [Motion picture] Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology Baltimore: Author.
Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundationst (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment