Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

Social learning is built on the foundation that students learn by interacting with others. This learning can be achieved in different ways in the classroom. One way that we looked at this week was cooperative learning. “Cooperative learning focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Mealenoski, 2007, p139) It was also stated in our text that cooperative learning is achieved when students cooperate to learn. (p143)

In order for students to learn with and from each other it is important that I model my expectations and plan ways for every student to be accountable for learning. I often close a cooperative learning activity by posing a few questions and randomly asking for one of the group’s members to state the answer. Each group member receives a number and they are aware of the fact that they could be called to answer the questions. This motivates all of the group members to pay attention and learn the answer if they do not know it. It also gives the students who think they always know the answer time to listen to other member’s opinions and to include them in their group’s answer. Having the experience of finding an answer from other students, and understanding different ways to solve a problem is what social learning is all about.

Social learning can be successful in any classroom if it is implemented and managed correctly. The teacher’s role is to monitor each group, adjust and clarify if needed. One advantage of social learning is that differentiated learning can be achieved easily. I find it challenging to differentiate with a group of 24 learners when I am the only teacher. However, when cooperative learning structures are used, I can more easily reinforce skills with my struggling students, while challenging my brighter students at the same time. This does take a lot of thought and planning on the teacher’s part. Technology especially helps to achieve this daunting task. Through the use of Web Quests, I can easily plan and choose different Web Quests to match the level and ability of my students.

Resource:
Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

4 comments:

  1. You stated within your post the very thing that I find frustrating about cooperative learning and that is having some much going on and there's only one of you to monitor. In my middle school classroom, certain types of cooperative learning are "out" for me. I find that the old-fashioned way of doing group work, (working on a poster or booklet) is more of an aggravation than it is when done using technology. When I have my students work cooperatively on a project using some type of technology, I find that there is less socializing and more working going on. I think it's because many of our technology resources keep all members of the group active and there is not as much down-time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a lot of modeling as well with my kindergarten kiddos. It is the first experience with school for some and they need a teacher guidance. I also agree that it is challenging to have differentiated instruction in the classroom. When I with a small group and the others are at centers, I feel the students that are not with me slack off a little. They are not 100% monitored with a teacher right on top of the task. I also find making centers where the students will stay engaged is challenging. The computer center is one of the few where the students stay engaged for the whole 15-20 minutes. I enjoy using technology whole group so all students will be attentive. My students love when I say I am going to show them something on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the strategy that you use to ensure all students are prepared to respond. Though nothing is fool-proof, this will certainly make all students accountable for their work and they will all be prepared to answer. It is so common for the same students to always answer for their groups though we hope all students can represent and verbailize the groups findings and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that cooperative learning lends itself to differentiation. Since differentiation is greatly focused at my school, I place students in cooperative groups on ability level. In their groups, I can easily differentiate their assignments and activities. However, I also use heterogeneous cooperative groups. This grouping allows students who greatly understand the concept to teach students who still need some guidance. Whether teachers use cooperative groups for differentiation or not, it is an effective strategy to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete