Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Constructivism in Practice

Constructionism is a theory of learning that states that people learn best when they build an external artifact or something they can share with others(Laureate, 2009). In a classroom that promotes this theory, the teacher becomes a guide. In a constructionism classroom it is hard at first glance to locate the teacher, because the teacher will be engaged with the learners. The teacher will spend time rotating around the room to ask thought-provoking questions to the students.

Using the available technology is an excellent way to incorporate the Constructionist Learning Theory. Today’s students are around technology in their free time and have grown accustomed to finding pictures, information, and answers instantly at the push of a button. In the book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works,I read in chapter 11 about generating and testing hypotheses. I learned that just assigning a project or a problem-based activity is not enough. A teacher needs to carefully understand that the way the project expectations are presented play a vital role in the learning outcome.

The key to successful problem (project)-based classroom activities is to have some guidelines in place. Begin the problem-based activity with clear expectations including any explanation of how the project will be graded. Discuss with your students the assignment and clear up any confusion. Brainstorm different strategies for completing the activity. Importantly, discuss with the class how to attack the problem. Students should, with teacher assistance, generate hypotheses and conclusions throughout the activity. Dr. Orey stated that Constructionist theory is focused on individual learners and what is going on in their mind as they go about constructing things.(2009) When students are guided to generate and explain hypotheses and conclusions, then the teacher is encouraging creative thinking and accepting more than one possible answer. The teacher is also allowing the students to discover an answer instead of giving an answer, a sometimes difficult teacher task. This activity also encourages students to experience accommodation and assimilation.

There is no better or more motivating way to use the constructionist theory in your classroom then to incorporate technology. By using technology tools such as the internet, word processing, PowerPoint Presentations, publishing tools, Excel Spreadsheets, wikis and podcasting, students can collaboratively create a project that will prepare them for working in the real world.

Resources:

DVD: Laureate Education, Inc. (2009). “Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. I have made the mistake of not giving clear directions many times. I have also told students I want them to be creative so I do not supply a grading rubric and from this I get mixed results. Sometimes I am impressed with the results and other times I am sorely disappointed. Have you done any project-based learning in your classroom? What type of results did you obtain? Was it what you were expecting, better or worse?

    Do you see yourself implementing VoiceThread in your classes? I see myself using this new tool for many assignments that I assign as research papers, essays, or group work. What do you think? I'm just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think at one point or another we have all made the mistake of not giving clear directions. I have used project-based learning with my students before. To summarize – I tell them they have been hired by a wax museum to create a presentation about a famous person (alive or dead) from a state in the Midwest region. The presentation should include facts about the state. (I have an entire sheet written up to explain this and the expectations.) I also have planning sheets that describe what is expected on each slide. When the project is complete, the parents come and visit the museum. The kids dress up as their famous figure. They make fake buttons and tape them to the floor. The parents step on the buttons, and the students come alive and tell them who they are, why they are famous, fact about the state, challenges, character traits etc. They begin with a lead and end with a wrap-up. The show is like note cards to remind the students what they are supposed to say. The students do not read word for word. (A good lesson in speaking skills) The results are exactly what I expected and sometimes even better. (Students will change their voice to talk like their character) I have had students visit me years later and tell me that was the best project they did in elementary school.

    VoiceThreads are SOOOOOO cool. I definitely see myself using them. I have to explore them a bit more before I figure out what I can do with my class. The first thing I have to do is test if this technology is blocked at school. I hope not! A lot of good technology resources are blocked in our building. I think you could use voice threads for all of the above mentioned topics. Sometimes, due to time, it is fine to just jump in head first and try it for the first time without spending hours working on the perfect lesson to use. I have learned a lot by doing this with a new program as soon as I learn about it. I find it easier to “tweak” what I want to do with a new technology if I have seen some of my students experience the new technology first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at fault of not giving clear directions. Some lessons are so routine for me, I forget it's the first time for my students to do the project. In kindergarten the students need the step by step instructions. Teachers also need to be aware of the students that do not have computers at home. They might need a bit more direction with projects since they are not exposed daily. Have you used podcasts or blogs in your class? With the correct guidelines, I think students would enjoy creating blogs for a class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that setting guidelines and expectations is essential when beginning a project or problem based activity. Students need to understand where they are going before they begin. I remember failing miserably at this when I first began teaching. However, over the years I have gotten better with communicating clear expectations. In addition, I have learned that I need to reflect if I made my expectations clear if student projects do not come out the way I expected. I also like that you mentioned that a successful project needs class brainstorming and discussions. Brainstorming and discussion really help to scaffold our students throughout these projects.
    Tomorrow my students will finish researching and begin to write their Animal Book. I decided the best way to approach their writing is to show them exactly what I am looking for in their project. So today I created my own book. I even drew and colored pictures (which is great for me because I am the clip art queen). I hope the time I spent today making the book will give my students a better vision of what I expect from them.

    ReplyDelete