Monday, September 20, 2010

Cognitivisim In Practice

This week I learned about the Cognitive Learning theories and the ways teachers can open up their student’s working memory. In Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) discuss two instructional strategies that reflect cognitive learning theory and technologies that support them.

Chapter 4 of Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) book, “Cues, Questions, and Advanced Organizers” examines strategies that help learners “retrieve, use and organize information about a topic” (p.73). Cues provide hints about what students are going to learn and questions are similar but they help students make connections from what they know to what they are learning. Advanced organizers provide a structured way to organize information about a new topic or concept. I use cues and questions in almost every lesson I teach in my third grade classroom. I especially use questions beginning at the bottom of Bloom’s taxonomy and advance my questions all the way up to application, analysis, evaluation based on my student’s understanding. I also use several types of organizers. I mostly use graphic organizers in reading to help my students make sense of fiction stories. I also use a KWL organizer while building background prior to reading unfamiliar stories, and reading nonfiction texts in the areas of science and social studies. Most of these activities are presented to my class in cooperative learning groups. This structure compliments the cognitive learning theory nicely.

Chapter 6, Summarizing and Note Taking, focuses on “helping students separate important information from the extraneous and state the information in their own words” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, 2007, p.119). We learn that taking notes word for word is the least effective way to take notes. This made me think a lot about my class. Third grade is the first time my students are introduce to note taking. I guide them through the process while explaining the purpose for note taking is to help one learn and understand the information of nonfiction. Eventually I have my student’s take notes on their own in cooperative learning groups. Last year my class was particularly skilled at doing this in science. I give my class typed notes to study from. This year I will try and have my class create their own outlines to study from. I am curious if they will retain the information longer and if they have created their own outline.
In Dr. Michael Orey’s video this week he said, “present things both visually and auditory to integrate multiple senses in presentations will improve learning” (Laureate, 2009). I try and use an even mixture of images and text so that my students remember what they are learning. Concept Mapping Tools and Virtual Field Trips are a great resource to help accomplish this task.
A teacher and her visual technology tools together can facilitate meaningful student learning while incorporating the cognitive learning theory. This will create a learning environment where textbook information can be more easily processed.

References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Cognitive learning theories [Motion picture] Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology Baltimore: Author.
Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundationst (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment