Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Behaviorism in Practice

Behaviorism remains an essential part of learning practice in and out of the classroom. This week I read about incorporating technology while reinforcing effort and the importance of homework and practice. Both of these instructional strategies are supported by behaviorism because students learn when effective learning behavior is reinforced. Certain technologies can support effective operant conditioning to reinforce student effort, homework, and practice (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007)

Within the text, Understanding Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, the authors state that, “the instructional strategy of reinforcing effort enhances student’s understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning” (Pitler, Hubble, Kahn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 155). I know that many students often fail to understand the connection between effort and performance. I have heard my third graders say several times that they are just not good at math or reading, and that is why they do not do well in those subjects. I agree with the text in that this excuses the students from taking responsibility for failure. The most powerful thing I learned from this week’s reading is that this cycle can easily be fixed. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) recommend that students use rubrics and spreadsheet software to track their efforts in class. I know from past experience that any learning I discovered by recording data has been a powerful discovery. I also feel that the act of discussing the correlation between effort and achievement is a way to get students to be conscience of their effort in class. By guiding students to see the consequences of their efforts, this teacher act reinforces behaviors that contribute to learning and academic success.

Homework and practice are also important learning behaviors that students often view as negative and useless. Again, helping my students to see the connections between effort put into homework assignments and report card grades is another important point to make. Homework and practice is an easy area for teachers to incorporate technology. I use a website called homework hero to post my assignments. In addition to the website, I also include many likes to websites that reinforce third grade skills. I encourage my students to use Microsoft word to type their spelling homework. I model with my students how Microsoft word can be used to improve their spelling sentences/paragraphs. I explore the use of spell and grammar check in addition to using the thesaurus to use and expand vocabulary. The use of these technologies are a perfect example of Skinner’s programmed instruction as pointed out by Dr. Orey in his explanation of operant conditioning (Laureate, 2009).

Resources:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Behaviorists learning theory [Motion picture] Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. You and I agree that the technology combined with homework is helpful. I will have to look into homework hero and I appreciate the resource. It doesn't make sense to me to continue following old homework practices without allowing for technology use by the students.

    Also, I further agree with your thoughts about student’s perception of effort and performance. The authors brought up some excellent points. Nonetheless, have you ever tried data collection like the authors suggest? Having each student keep track of their own progress sounds really good, but in practice I can foresee some issues. It might work best with particular age groups. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think that with my third graders it would be hard to get them to be really honest, and use excel in that way. I think asking the class to be honest and making one class excel spreadsheet is more manageable for my age group. I think it would work well for middle or high school students. I am sure that some of the students who could really benefit from the connection will be the ones who are not honest when evaluating their effort. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the effort rubric and the strategy as described in the text. It does get tiring hearing students complain that they just can't do it, aren't good at it, or whatever other excuse they can come up with. When they see the correlation between effort and their results, maybe they will begin to put forth more effort. I also thought the use of the spreadsheet is multitasking by teaching students how to use a specific software program. This is a great way to avoid a specific technology lesson.

    ReplyDelete